Friday, September 12, 2008

Wikipedia

I'll be presenting Monday the 15th. Wikipedia is an online, user-editable encyclopedia. Right now the site has over two and a half million articles, all added by users of the site. This freedom to add and edit articles has contibuted to a few problems over the years. Article vandalism has occurred, but more seriously, misleading information has popped up on pages with subjects ranging from political figures to the oil industry. Several articles have been written about this issue. Please take a look at a few:

http://www.journalism.org/node/1672

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2007/05/sand_castles_of_knowledge.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/01/technology/01link.html?ex=1378008000&en=2690a3850cb270d0&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

6 comments:

Rongke said...

I like this website because I can learn something whatever I want to know. When I don't know something, my 1st search is google and then is wikipedia.Sometimes, I can know something in 2 languages, Chinese and English. It's better for me and someone else who is a bilingual student because there are many languages can transfer in each other. I love this point, and I think it's cool~~!

Miguel Tepale said...

I have a different opinion about wikipedia. I am particular not a fan of Wikipedia, actually, I hate Wikipedia. Even prior to reading John's articles on Wikipedia, I have been well aware of the misleading information that user's post up on Wikipedia. I personally feel insulted when user's post false and misleading information particular in the studies of music. I also do not like the fact that Wikipedia is used for political leverage for their campaigns. My hypothesis about this anonymous user is that I am 100% sure that it is someone from Palin's campaign. That's all I have to say.

Miguel Tepale said...

O yea, by the way, GREAT ARTICLES John.

naveen naqvi said...

The New York Times article about Sarah Palin is really interesting, it really shows us in how many ways we can be misled into believing something is news when it's really just propaganda.It's apparent that Wikipedia has several flaws,and although I understand people can write just about anything on it as though it was fact, I still tend to use it sometimes because it seems to be accurate more times than not, and as a result has gained this reputation of being reliable although we can clearly see often times that's not the case.

myoussef100 said...

Good articles ! Although Wikipedia is a well known social networking site, I can say that it just gives us alot of the general information without specific details . I say that because everytime I try to search about something on it; it brings for me a long pages with massive words without giving me the goals and persuasive reasons.

jacqueline said...

Good articles,Jone~ Honest speaking,I like to use wikipedia to do some researches a lot. Wikipedia just like a mobile Encyclopedia,I can use it whenever i want.Furthermore, I like wikipedia have one more reason that is Because Wikipedia is an ongoing work to which, in principle, anybody can contribute, it differs from a paper-based reference source in important ways.