Friday, September 12, 2008

BitTorrent, sharing the whole world

Hi everyone, I will give a presentation about BitTorrent on the coming Monday. BitTorrent, or maybe BT, is one of the hottest words in the cyber world. It is a file sharing protocol used to distribute large data. Usually, it is 3 or 4 times faster than the traditional download service is. Besides, a BT search engine, which is different with Google or Yahoo, can help you to search the share files on any other personal computer if it is also in the BT network. Because of its super power, just like the nuclear technology, it is till not in the good control. One of bad things it brought is that it made a “rocket ship” for the illegal copy.

Here is some information:
http://tasvideos.org/WhyBitTorrent.html
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2005/01/13/why_bittorrent_is_a_wave.htm
http://www.mpaa.org/press_releases/2005_05_25b.pdf

4 comments:

Rongke said...

I know BT well. It's a really good software to download files from internet and its speed is so fast (sometimes, I download a file just spend several munites with BT. If download samething in the regular way, it maybe spend half hr or 1hr.) I used frequently before. Unfortunally, it' illegal. Someone share the movies or music to others to download and someone use this way to copy and make piratical CD or DVD to sale.

Amar Kaur said...

I am not really familiar with BT so all i have to say about this is that if it is illegal then why and how it is still available in the market out there? Also how does it makes a cyber community? can we post commnets or socially interact with each other or it is used only to download files and make illegal Cd's and DVD's?

Miguel Tepale said...

To answer your questions Amar, some BT sites require you to let other individuals download your own personal movies from your own laptop or desktop. They can download anything from your own music or movies. So now, think about a 1,000 or more individuals who are part of this network and share everyone else's own content.

Miguel Tepale said...

Great article Haisheng, I am glad that they stopped the BT site for star wars movies(Hint-I'm a big star wars fan.). Even thou I will admit, I myself use BT sites only to download major computer applications or video games, NOT MOVIES. I don't know what to say, I have mix feelings about the subject. On one hand, I feel that torrents are great for the struggling college student with no money to buy Microsoft office. On the other hand, I don't believe that ANYONE should steal anyone's work of art in the field of movie making. That also includes downloading music illegally. Call me hypocritical but, that's what I believe.