Sunday, September 14, 2008

Craigslist-Good or Bad

Hello everyone, as you all know. I will be presenting on Craigslist. As we all know and if you don't know, Craigslist has been the pinnacle of controversy on the world wide web.
The Good- No fee to sign up. Many postings for specific services are free. Anyone can see your posting with out being a member of craigslist.
The Bad-Many people are fraudulent in what they say on thier postings. Many ask you to send a check first before you recieve your item. Prostiution is a big problem on craigslist.
Heres some more info
HowStuffWorks "Craigslist Controversy"
As Prostitutes Turn to Craigslist, Law Takes Notice - New York Times

3 comments:

naveen naqvi said...

These articles are really interesting.As I read them I thought about how although I've used craigslist.com to find a job, I would never trust the site enough to do any transaction dealing with money or anything of that nature, but then I realized doing anything on the site can be potentially dangerous. For example, I went to a doctor's office for an interview through craigslist, but that could have been a complete scam.These articles are a good reminder that it is important to be skeptical when using the internet.

michelle :] said...

I've searched Craigslist for everything from jobs to electronics to apartments. However, I recently read an article about how a girl in England used Craigslist to find an apartment for 2 months while she worked in London for the summer. She ended up being scammed out of over 1500 dollars. she sent her money to the landlord, but the apartment ended up being in Spain, even though the ad said it was in London. Craigslist is a convenient, though not reputable site. I think many people look at the convenience of it and don't realize that they still need to be safe when using it.

John K said...

I have used craigslist only a few times before. I don't really trust this site sometimes because you never know if the other person you are contacting or purchasing from is a scammer or is just trying to screw you over somehow. When people use this site they have to be very careful that they do not fall victim to a scam or something bad. I searchthis site once in a while when i'm looking for good deals on something but i trust ebay and amazon better for purchasing my stuff.